Monday, August 26, 2013

Miley Cyrus at VMA: The Antidote

Miley Cyrus, an American child star, performed at the VMA last night. She strutted onstage, stuck out her tongue, and pointed to her crotch. She stripped down to flesh colored underwear, and donned a foam finger to point at her crotch. She then went down on all fours and pretended to receive anal sex from a man dressed as a pimp.

It was heavy-handed, ugly, and for me anyway, weirdly unerotic.

"Her performance went over the line that separates humans from animals," said my friend Fayla Lindsey Ott, author of the bestselling "A Time to Heal."

I disagreed with Fayla. I said that wild creatures in their own habitats often approach mating with a mesmerizing conviction, effort, beauty, and dignity. Not all the time. But many do.

I thought of the birds of paradise video that has taken youtube by storm, and video of 17 year cicadas. Watching them is the antidote to Miley Cyrus' depressing display.



No comments:

Post a Comment