Thursday, January 27, 2022

Hearing Aids

 


I lost most of my hearing decades ago after a long, torturous bout with an inner ear disorder. Alas it looks like I'm losing even more hearing now, and today a doctor urged me, again, to get hearing aids.
 
I wanted him to tell me that there was some way I could stop the process, but he had no such good news. Vestibular disorders are hard to treat and little researched, or so it seems to me.

 

I'm a very hearing-oriented person. I'm bad at recognizing faces but I do recognize voices, sometimes years after hearing them and only hearing them for a second or so. I don't have a TV, and as a dyslexic reading is hard, but I have the radio on all the time. I started to cry.

 

Dr. P asked me I felt that losing my hearing would stigmatize me. No, I said. It's not that. I'm not afraid of stigma. After all, because of my ear disorder, which destroyed my balance, I walk with a cane, and have for most of my life. I'm already stigmatized. It's just that hearing is so important to me.  

 

I told Dr. P a family story. My Slovak grandmother, a peasant woman, lost her firstborn, Mary, in the influenza pandemic of 1918. I think of Mary as my spirit aunt.

 

My grandmother prayed hard to conceive again, and to have a healthy child. She prayed to Saint Joseph, Jesus' adoptive father. Of course my grandmother named her second born child "Joseph."

 

But then disease struck Joseph, too.

 

He was very, very ill. The doctor told my grandmother to give up on him. He was a goner. Just cut the cord. Write him off. We can't do anything for him.

 

I think of her in that house, which I did enter when we visited Slovakia over fifty years later. A house my grandfather built my hand. Very simple, stark, small, basic. No electricity, no running water. A woman alone watching her second baby die.

 

But my grandmother rejected the doctor's advice. She prayed hard for Joseph.  And he lived. But he was deaf.

 

When my grandmother, my mother, and my uncle Joe emigrated to America -- my grandfather was already here, working the coal mines -- life was hard. My mother told me about foraging for food in a garbage dump. My grandfather had emphysema from the mines and couldn't work.

 

Someone had to work to feed the family. My grandmother had four more kids after reuniting with her husband. She had to take care of the kids, and grandpa.

 

She sent my mother out to work as a nanny and domestic servant. My mother, a very smart woman, never got to go to school in America, and she was doomed, without any school diplomas, to doing domestic and factory work for the rest of her life.

 

It was very different for my Uncle Joe. Because he was deaf, he qualified for various charities. He attended a special school, learned a skilled trade, and became much more economically comfortable than my mother would ever be.

 

In short, I said to Dr. P, being deaf was a surprise benefit to my Uncle Joe.

 

Dr P looked thoughtful.

 

He reached up and removed a hearing aid from his ear. I had never noticed this before.

 

When his mother was pregnant with him, she had rubella, aka German measles.

 

Doctors told her to abort the fetus growing inside her.  Birth defects would be inevitable.

 

She was, Dr. P. said, a religious person, and she declined to have the abortion.

 

Dr. P. was born hard of hearing. He had to attend special classes and he was mercilessly teased. He imitated how other kids would make fun of him, using the voice that people who are hard of hearing from birth speak with. I was astounded. He captured that voice perfectly.

 

It wasn't till he was older that he got his first hearing aids, and that changed his life. He went to medical school.

 

One day, he was home alone with his mom, and she had a medical emergency. She was dying. By chance, Dr. P. was there, and he performed the necessary procedure to save her life.

 

His mother later said to him, "They told me to end your life, and I did not, and here you saved my life. Had you not been here, I would have died."

 

Dr. P. looked very thoughtful and said to me "I don't normally share that story with people."

 

Two stories about things not turning out as one might have thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment