Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Pope Francis is TIME Magazine's "Person of the Year."

After John Paul II passed away, and while the media was awash in coverage of his funeral, JD, one of my hardcore atheist friends on the internet, said something I'll never forget.

JD's father had died before that. And, a couple of days after his death, she got a phone call from him! Her phone malfunctioned in such a way that it rang, she picked it up, and it was a recording of her father!

I said to her, "See? See? He was trying to contact you!"

And she was like, "No, no, just a coincidence. Just a malfunction."

Anyway, after John Paul II died and the funeral was all over the media, JD said, longingly, "I've been watching John Paul II's funeral coverage, and I so yearn for the days when I was an observant Catholic. I miss all that."

Oh, JD, why not just return to the church?

I know my church is imperfect. I also know I will probably never leave it. It gets so much right, so much that I value with a tenderness and love I feel for few other things.

People try to turn me against my church, and they have no idea what they are doing. The love I feel for my church is something about which they have not got one clue.

Celebrating, with an imperfect Catholic's pride, TIME magazine naming Pope Francis "Person Of The Year."

No comments:

Post a Comment