Saturday, September 22, 2018

Foods I Cooked with My Sister Antoinette ... Will Have to Wait.





The day she died. The day she was born. April 10, Siblings Day. September 23, Autumnal Equinox, and Bruce Springsteen's birthday. 

The rest of the time I am free to think about it or not think about it. On these two days, I don't have much of a choice. 

So I've been thinking how cool it would be to do a blog post cookbook. "Foods I cooked with my sister Antoinette." I'd already done a blog post, "Movies I watched with my sister Antoinette." 

But it's been a really heavy time. And I have no time. No time to prepare that cookbook. 

So I will just mention one. German chocolate cake. It was the go-to birthday cake. So dense and rich and sinful. I can't remember the last time I baked a German chocolate cake. Now that I am older, and live on my own, and eat healthy food, I no longer crave such decadent treats. If you eat healthy food everyday, if you're not a malnourished poor kid, you really aren't as susceptible to the lure of devilishly rich food. 

But back then? One forkful was an elevator to Heaven. 

Did I just mention Heaven? 

When I "feel" you now, Antoinette, the cliche would be to say that you feel as alive as you ever felt, to me. But you actually feel more alive. I hope that is not merely my imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment